Collage

Collage

Saturday, July 07, 2012

I'm Back and Toothless!

I know I havent updated my blog for quite sometime now- ok, for a really long time. I put the blame on life. As they say, life can sometimes get in the way of things.. and in my case, writing. A lot has happened to me between my last post and now. Transferred to a new workplace, met new people, lost contact with some, got in touch with long lost ones, got myself in a relationship (haha! at last!), travelled more, developed some new prospects, aged (ack!).. I'll be backtracking everything as we go along. But now, I'm glad I'm finally back and ready to write!



Fast forward to now: I took the liberty of extending my 4th of July official company day off by filing for vacation leaves for thursday and friday! So that leaves me with a total of 5 glorious days away from work! What to do? Well, I was contemplating in going to a dermatologist for a procedure (and no, and its not for surgery!) to address my scars, but as I was concerned about the downtime and it has also been raining heavily for the past week, I found myself on a Friday, setting up a dental appointment instead. Since I transferred away from the mecca of medical practitioners I call Medical Plaza where I usually have my dental work done, I find it hard to find the time and a new clinic to go to. Besides, I could not even remember the last time I had my dental cleaning- a year ago or 2 years ago? Yikes! So I decided to find one that my medical card, Intellicare, covers. I found one in BF Homes, JP Romero Dental Clinic. The receptionist who answered my phone call was pleasant and friendly enough and I scheduled myself for a 4pm appointment. The place is just along Aguirre Avenue, but it slipped my mind that Aguirre Avenue stretches all the way to other side of BF. I forgot to ask for a landmark for their office. I did a quick check via Google maps but I still miscalculated the distance ended up walking a few blocks more to reach their office. I got there a little past 4 but they quickly accommodated me. After filling out some forms and doing some verification for my dental coverage, I was lead and made comfortable in the dental chair. As I waited for my dentist, I took a quick look and liked what I saw so far. Their equipment looks modern and the overall area where the procedures are being done were clean. There was even a monitor above me in which I silently hoped that I my mouth will not be magnified through that (Thank goodness it was not. Probably they use it for more interesting and major cases. Whew!). I also notice that even the water that was already laid out for me to gargle had a bluish tint to it. I later found out that it was mixed with probably Colgate Plax which earned them plus point for me as this is the first time that I came across a dental office who had thought of this. My dentist was Dr. Flan Thomas - who looks young but very able and was nice enough to explain and answer my questions. She also has an assistant who listed each of my tooth's condition as she dictates it to him one by one. Aside from having my teeth cleaned, I decided to have both of my impacted teeth extracted. I have been putting it aside for the longest time since it was always recommended that one should have complete hours of sleep prior the procedure and now is the perfect time to do it. Dr. Flan asked me if I was prepared for it and I said yes for both as not to worry about it in the future. Though what I have to worry about after is whether I'm ready to have braces which is going to be another story. So I had my cleaning first and I found myself getting more tensed as she finishes the procedure. The last time I had an extraction was when I was 7 years old for my rotten set of milk teeth. The horror stories about patients getting an infection or overdosing from anesthesia flooded into my mind. So I just said a little prayer in my mind and turned back to looking at the blank lcd monitor above me. At least I'm in good hands. Dr. Flan and her assistant were very gentle and professional though it still hurt a little bit especially when she was extracting the upper impacted tooth in which she even gave me another dose of anesthesia. I winced and was almost telling myself not to faint as I heard my tooth cracking like cracker nuts as she pulled away. I can still hear the cracking sound in my head until now. Hahaha!


And just like that, it was over. Yey, I survived! The good doctor gave me a prescription of meds and some general reminders like no to hot, spicy and seafood based food for the next 2 days. I can only eat and drink cold or room temperature, soft food and drinks. I'm scheduled to be back to have my filling next Saturday since I get it with my coverage with Intellicare. It was also good that the dental office gives discounts as well to card holders so I think I may be sticking with this one. Their braces though cost more - around 60k-80K. I might have to do a little more thinking and planning for that.


All in all, I highly recommend their clinic and I'm happy they made me comfortable throughout the procedure.


For those interested to check JP Romero Dental Clinic, you may visit them at 225 Evangelista Bldg. Phase II, Aguirre Avenue, BF Homes, Paranaque (in front of Central Boy Barbecue and Pan de Manila). You may also call: 02-825 8642.



No comments:

Post a Comment